Sometimes the violence of this world can shock you. But then, just as often, people stand up and make you realize that we can make a difference.
That’s what’s happening in Merced, Calif., where a veterinarian and an animal-rescue group have stepped up to help Mango, a cat horribly burned after somebody poured lighter fluid all over her body.
Mango, who had slipped outside from owner Karen Kiil’s home, suffered terrible burns over 70 percent of her body. Some local boys playing on the street put the fire out before it could get even worse, but it will still take thousands of dollars in surgeries to bring Mango back to health.
That’s where vet Dr. Christine McFadden and New Beginnings for Animals Merced came to the rescue. McFadden saved Mango’s life in surgery, and New Beginnings is helping to pay for her treatment, something Kiil cannot afford on her own.
Mango’s injuries are pretty serious. “Mango’s lost a lot of skin, and the dead areas look like leather,” McFadden told the Merced Sun-Star. “We can’t sew things closed yet because it could cause more damage than is already there.” The tips of Mango’s ears will probably need to be amputated because they were so badly burned. But she’ll survive, something she wouldn’t have done with McFadden, her staff and the rescue organization.
New Beginnings will continue to pay for Mango’s treatment including more surgeries, antibiotics, and physical therapy. Anyone wanting to make donations to help for her care can visit the New Beginnings for Animals Merced website.
- Being Brave and Feeding Bossy Backyard Blue Jay A Message to Gracey
- Since You’ve Been Gone. Our Message to Gracey
- Heartbroken and Healing
- The Most Endangered River in America
- The Overview Effect How the View from Space Might Save Our World
- Lions to Live Better Lives Thanks to Genetic Testing
- Win $25 Gift Card to Target from Project Pet Slim Down
- Internet Cat Video Festival 2013 Call For Entries Ends May 1
- Making Peace with Lions Richard Turere is a Wildlife Hero.
- Remembering Mr. Collins. Dear Friend and Animal Lover