Years ago we had live Christmas trees. When Hazel came to live with us, we decided after the tree came tumbling down that perhaps an artificial tree might be a better solution. Not only for our ornamnets’ sake but to keep her safe too. Pine needles are quite sharp and might even cause internal injuries if ingested and they are potentially toxic to cats. The tree water is also dangerous for cats to drink because it is full of pine resin and possibly flame retardant chemicals. You can wrap aluminum foil around the tree trunk to keep your cat from scratching or climbing and out of the water but we decided it was too stressful worrying about Hazel and opted for an artificial tree.
Switching to an artificial tree eliminated the tree water but there are still other dangers lurking for your cat. Your cat may still try to climb the artificial tree, chew on the light cords, and possibly step on broken ornaments. And your cat might decide to chew on the branches of your artificial tree too.