We couldn’t let Black Cat Appreciation Day go by without talking about our Mercy. He is quite handsome as you can see in the photo above. I know we have told you many times that Mercy was rescued from the mean streets 8 years ago. Paul and I helped take care of a feral colony of cats and when Mercy was just a kitten, Paul was smitten.
Mercy had such a big personality for such a tiny kitten. He would jump up on the rock where we fed the cats and shake his back end back and forth to keep the other cats away until he got a few bites first. He was always looking for Paul and the first to come out to greet him.
We were able to catch him and bring him home. Mercy was so sweet that when we took him in for his first checkup, one of the veterinarians told us if we decided not to keep Mercy to bring him back because he would adopt him! He just knew Mercy was going to be a nice boy.
Mercy is still strongly bonded to Paul. This is one of my favorite photos of the two of them because it looks like Mercy is telling Paul an interesting story. Mercy lived with Paul’s mom until they both came to live with us two years ago.
Mercy gets along with Annie and Eddie 98% of the time. The other 2% he gets a little irritated with the younger cats and just needs his alone time. We are so happy they all three get along so well.
He doesn’t like to pose for photos much but I am able to get a few shots of him when he isn’t looking. He likes to see what those kittens are up to and sometimes he even stays to play.
He is a cat of few meows except when it is time for breakfast. He knows when 6:30 rolls around and he isn’t too forgiving if we wait until 6:31 to rise and shine and prepare his meal.
In the early afternoon Mercy comes into my office and sits on my desk to my left and edits my writing. In the late afternoon when it is time for Paul to come home, Mercy takes his place watching the door. There he waits until he sees Paul walk through the door.
We are sure lucky to have Mercy as part of our family. He brings us joy and love everyday.